An Olive Branch or C'est la vie




Recently, I was asked to view a couple of videos and give my honest opinion. I viewed them one morning after a couple cups of coffee. I suspected I would find the material far from my liking, but I watched as requested. To say I didn’t like what I saw is an understatement… it was offensive to me.

We each arrive at our beliefs from a myriad places. My life experiences have caused me to have a more liberal viewpoint. I want my friends to know where my head and heart lie. Our beliefs are likely not the same as yours but hopefully, my beliefs are okay with you. We each have the right to our own. And over time views change… mine change, yours change and usually it’s based on our own experience not the experience of someone else.

No matter our respective views, our friendships transcend politics, religion, where we came from, whether we have money or not, and the restaurants we like to frequent. 

An olive branch (a peace offering of a sort) is being extended along with my views. What I write also can be thought of as c'est la vie (such is life). I come in peace; my views reflect my life experiences.

I’ll be as precise as possible in stating what I think and what I believe… and I hope you will accept this. I am sharing these thoughts with everyone on my “friends list” (friends & family both near and far away). I’m doing this so there will be no preconceived notion of where I stand. Most people who have known me for a long time know that I am rather liberal in my views. I’m not a far left-wing individual, not an extremist; I consider myself moderately liberal compared to many folks.

The following is a partial list of my thinking and beliefs based on my experiences over the years.

I am a liberal.
I am fiscally conservative.
I believe in a capitalist society.
I believe strongly in compromise.
I am a citizen of the great state of Texas, of the United States and of the World.

I want responsible government.
I am for social justice.
I want to pay my taxes & want everyone else to do the same.
I want an education system that works for all.
I want the Affordable Care Act fixed not scrapped…Compromise.
(Rename it if you will, but don’t just throw it out!)
I want an immigration system that works and that is fairly decided in Congress…Compromise.

I am for a free trade agreement… emphasis on agreement…Compromise.
We are part of a Global Economy.
We are all interrelated and interdependent.

I am a proponent of the well being of all.
I want emergency personnel who are trained to do their jobs. (This includes law officers, firefighters, EMTs and social workers. All of those who are exceptionally well trained in being able to assist in difficult situations that don’t lead to violence.)

I am a conservationist.
I want the U.S. back in the Paris Climate Accord.
I want the protection of the many habitats that our birds, mammals and reptiles require to survive.

I want a strong U.S. military.
I want to respect our allies.
I want to stay with NATO.
I want the WHO, the CDC, and other scientific and medical personnel to be fully funded.

I want to understand and be respectful the thoughts of others… but,
I abhor intolerance (and struggle with it in myself).
I abhor racism, bigotry, inhumanity (and find no excuse for it).
I abhor conspiracy theories (and like gossip, I think it is nonproductive).

This will go on my blog with a link from Facebook.
Well, that certainly covers enough of what I think.


Comments

Popular Posts